Monday, June 23, 2008

The Richmond Scramble

I ran another race, but kind of by default. Josh had actually signed up to run the race, but had forgotten that he had a deacons camping trip, so I got to run the race. I wasn't totally pumped for it but when I got there I got excited and pumped up to run the race. Our ward was actually well represented. It was our Stake President Br. Anderson, Toby Anderson, Gary Payne, Dan Lloyd and Matt Toomey. The race is all around the James River on trails, it was gorgeous!! This is actually my new favorite race, one that I hope to participate in every year.  We climbed up railroad ties, up and down stairs, over bridges, over the river on big rocks, up ladders...it was so fun.  Thanks to Amber for staying with Lil's and Izzy. 
I was wondering what Amber and the kids would do while I ran, but thankfully they had set up a "mini Richmond Scrambler" for the kids. They loved it!! Since Lilli and Izzy love to jump and climb this was the perfect thing for them.

I finished the race and was hoping to find Amber and the girls on the side lines of the finish line, they  weren't there but I found them here with Lilli being "strung" up this tree. She loved it and was giggling the whole time! The "operator" didn't string her up very high, she would have loved to go to the top of the tree.... you should never underestimate a girl:)
This race wasn't timed with a chip so you just had to look at the clock as you crossed the finish line. So I did that and was very confused. It said it had taken me 1hr and 39min. I walked around for a while a little perplexed. Then I asked the operators about the clock. It all came together when they told me that the clock I was looking at was for the 1/2 marathon that started 30 min earlier than the first wave for the 10k. I was in the second wave that started 8 min after the first.... so I ended up with a time of 61 minutes. I was pretty happy with that:) I actually surprised myself, I had passed the men in the ward that I thought had left me in the dust.  I guess I am kind of like a horse, when I start heading "home" I just pick up the speed!

No comments: