Monday, June 2, 2008

Planting a Rainbow

I got this awesome idea from a blog I was reading the other day. We checked the book out at the library; "Planting a Rainbow" by Lois Ehlert. We read about how a child and a mother plant their garden together. So off we went to Strange's green house to find our rainbow. The girls loved seeing all of the different colored flowers. Izzy mostly liked splashing in the puddles and playing with the rocks. We found all the colors of the rainbow and headed home to plant our rainbow. It actually ended up being a couple days later because of naps and other things that needed to be done. So everyday Lilli begged to plant her rainbow, finally after dinner on Friday we planted our rainbow. They were such good gardners, and produced a very beautiful rainbow!
Lilli has always loved getting dirty, so she was my right hand gal as we dug each hole and then "squished" the flowers out of their pots, plopped them into their holes and then covered the hole back up with dirt.
Izzy on the other hand hates to get her hands dirty, if there are even crumbs on her hands she tells me that there are "guckies" on her hands. She wanted to help, but when I handed her the flower with "dirt" on the bottom, she just couldn't bring herself to do it. She tried Daddy's gloves, it didn't work out too well for helping, but they were fun to wear.
Lilli and Izzy's Rainbow- A Red Zinnia, Orange Gerbera Daisy, Yellow( I forget the name), Green Basil, Blue Plumbago and Purple Petunia's.
Hard working gardners!

2 comments:

Ashlee & Christian said...

I think that is the coolest thing ever. I can imagine those girls had a blast, and what a good learning opportunity. I love how Lilli poses for each picture, it 'cracks' me up!!! The rainbow of flowers is so pretty, I want to remember to do this someday!

Josh said...

Stacy. You are so great. What great ideas you have. your kids love you to death and it's cause of all the little things you teach them. Love ya and I hope all is well. Any cheaper tickets?